Cheddar exits Les Phillips Cup at first hurdle

Cheddar left the Les Phillips Cup at the first hurdle, being shown the door by Radstock Town who secured a 2-1 victory, their first of the season, on Tuesday.

Harry Pegler, Adam Davies and Oscar Collins were the only three players from Saturday’s win at Bristol Telephones chosen to represent the hosts on the night with a number of players promoted from reserve or given opportunities upon their return from injury.

The Cheesemen took their time to find their rhythm and, on the balance of the game, it was no surprise that the visitors took the lead in the 12th minute.

The lively Corey Rawlings controlled the ball well at the edge of the penalty area and sent a low, hard shot past Callum Plaistow’s left arm.

Looking pissed off for the first quarter of the half, Cheddar began to settle in, as they began to show more inventiveness in their game.

A quick exchange between Michael Murch and Collins, saw the latter leap into Radstock’s 18-yard box, beating three defenders but losing possession as he tried to take the ball around a fourth defender.

The Cheddar youngsters continued to show signs of improvement, with Ryan Eardley first shooting past Tom Roberts from close range after a superb ball from Kacper Osman to level the score after 32 minutes.

The hosts were then awarded a free kick where Davies forced Roberts to swing the ball acrobatically over the crossbar from range.

The Cheesmen showed more signs of enterprise and adventure when Morgan Bacon arrived, but it was the visitors who held their ground. Then on the hour mark, Davies again carved out a place but his vicious shot was caught by Roberts.

Another change for the hosts, saw top scorer Lewis Chappell enter the fray and with his first touch, Cheddar’s number nine set up Bacon whose first effort hit the foot of the post.

The hosts missed chances in the evening which caused their loss, however, less than two minutes later Town scored their second goal.

An error in Cheddar’s midfield left Jack Farion who edged the defense and crossed for Rawlings to score his second of the match goal from close range, and ultimately the winner.

Ethan Reed, who looked after the team in the absence of manager Michael Dangerfield, had some interesting views on his side’s performance on the night.

“We were unplayable in the first half, and it was just that mistake that cost us, and then we were undone by a stupid second mistake in the second half,” he said.

“But I thought our overall performance was brilliant, given that so many of our regular players weren’t available tonight. At least it gave some of our young players an opportunity tonight, and I’m very sure it will be a different story next month when we welcome Radstock (November 19) to the league”.

About Myra R.

Check Also

Sheffield Wednesday latest: Owls trial of Sheffield United starlet continues, goalkeeper loan exit looms & more

Sheffield Wednesday find themselves 3rd in the League 1 table after a five-game unbeaten run. …